Thank you for your interest in our campaign.
What We Stand For
‘Beat SCA’ is a campaigning arm to ISL Health Direct. We are a single-issue group committed to combatting the poor survival rate of Sudden Cardiac Arrest victims in the UK.
We aim to publicise the need for increased AEDs into communities and raising lay-person proficiencies with Basic Life Support and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) training, supported with raising SCA awareness.
What are we up against?
Sudden Cardiac Arrest kills over 100,000 people each year in the UK.
SCA strikes without warning; killing 250 people a day in the UK.
- It kills more people than lung cancer, breast cancer and AIDS combined.
- In the UK, less than 5% of victims survive out of hospital.
- It can happen to anyone, even young athletes.
- Together with CPR, defibrillation is the only way to re-establish the heart’s natural rhythm.
- SCA claims over 1,900 lives each week
- SCA claims over 250 lives every day
- SCA claims a life every five minutes
SCA can and does strike anyone, anywhere, anytime. In the UK, 30,000 people fall victim to SCA outside of a hospital, where support is limited and our chance of survival is dramatically reduced, because we are isolated from immediate care.
Out of Hospital SCA claims:
- Almost 600 lives each week
- Almost 100 lives every day
- Almost one person every 15 minutes
The current UK survival rate of OHSCA victims is as little as 7%, while other EU countries have a survival rate of up to 50%. So, when SCA can strike anyone, anywhere, anytime – what can we do to combat SCA and save more lives across the UK?
Our members believe it is vital to:
- Improve AED coverage year on year
- Increase awareness of SCA and the importance of AED placement
- Deliver training to combat the ‘failure’ of recognising SCA, and also
- Deliver training to combat the lack of knowledge of what to do when SCA strikes
We are dedicated to raising both awareness of SCA and raising the amount of AEDs are available, so when SCA strikes, we are best placed to fight back and increase the UK Survival Rate. Our members are from all sorts of backgrounds and they almost certainly include people much like you. Please support us.
Thank you for your interest in ‘Beat SCA’
Get involved… Contact Us
Other Worthwhile Campaigns:
We endorse the efforts and campaigns to date from Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation, Hearts and Goals, Bernard Gallacher Defib Campaign, the British Heart Foundation, Know Your Pulse, Saving Lives, Team 999, Heart Rhythm Charity, Heartsafe, SADS Foundation, Apples and Oranges Campaign, and Arrhythmia Alliance.